Monday, May 26, 2008

I'm a Goner

Two Easters ago I visited Winterthur Museum to see there quilt exhibition. A majority of the quilts were single fabric tops or trapunto quilting, which is lovely, but not my thing. There were a few patchwork quilts that were gorgeous. The best was this hexagon quilt below.


About the same time, Jan was blogging about her Grandma's Flower Garden hexagon quilt. This really appealed to me. It is vibrant, gorgeous, full of fabulous fabrics (not in my stash.)

So, in my obsessive fashion I decided to make my own hexagon quilt. The obsession quickly faded though. Hexagon quilts are hand-sewn. There really isn't just an easy way to do this on a machine, blech. And as alluded to above, I really wanted Jan's stash, not mine. Honestly, I am pretty tired of my stash, double-blech. So I only made two "flowers" before setting the idea aside.


Then along came Meg and the tantalising pictures on her blog of a blanket made of knit hexagons in Noro. I had to make this blanket and stalked her blog until the tutorial was posted. The very same day I supplemented my stash of Noro Kuryeon at Rosie's and cast-on.


It's addictive...very very addictive. Noro has always been my one of my favorites because of the beautiful color progressions and this blanket optimizes that.


Bye-bye entrelac. I have a new obsession.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn. i am totally going to have to knit that blanket!

Anonymous said...

ahhhhh. that is gonna look friggin sweet when it's done. it already does. i think the sock yarn blanket might take a backseat.

Robin said...

The colors are gorgeous so far. Yet another project to add to my queue and more yarn for my exponentially growing stash! You and Meg have me intrigued.

Mariss said...

Why am I pretending that I'm not going to spend lots of money on Noro and copy you and Meg? Yes, I'll keep telling myself that...Love yours! Glad you started already :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous blanket! The colors are coming out so great. I love the little quilted flowers, too. It was a great effort, but too time consuming for you since you're addicted to having two needles in hand at one time. Alas, frame them to hang over your tv in place of...

Carol said...

Thanks for the pretty pix and the link! What a great way to use Noro! Sigh...like I need another new project.

Anonymous said...

As a lover of hexagons but NOT paper piecing, I can completely identify. I think I've worked out as many ways as I can think of to incorporate small scale quilting into my projects.

The knit hexagons, however, are mind blowing. Gorgeous and so colorful.