Monday, July 10, 2006

Sock it to me...

...I don't think that this is what Goldie Hawn had in mind. Have to say that other than portability I have never seen the appeal of knitting my own socks. It is so much easier to pop into the Gap and pick up three pairs for $9. But, I am weak and susceptible to peer pressure. If all your friends were knitting socks, would you? Duh...

So, when Lisa from Rosie's announced that she would be teaching a "Toe-Up" class, I caved. And I started dreaming about socks.

On Sunday we gathered to knit socks from the toe-up. My knitting buds Sherry and Marissa were there, along with some other very nice ladies with sharp pointy DPNs. Only one other gal was a sock virgin.

Marissa and I picked the same colorway of Sockotta. Look Marissa...finally a blue stripe!!!!! Our skeins started in different places and it looked like we were knitting on different yarns. Her's was all blue at the beginning, no green; mine was all green, but I picked the yarn because of the blue.

This is the second start for this sock. My first attempt was too big and the stitches too loose. Now my stitches are fab, but the sock is still a wee bit big. Oh well.

My first toe is pretty, let's see how my first heel turns out.

4 comments:

Sherry W said...

looking good to me!

craftymodster said...

Very, very pretty! I am not quite brave enough to attempt 'toe-up' quite yet, but you are awfully inspiring!

Anjo

PS. Thanks for the "neutral" song picks via comments on my blog (I can't seem to track down an email for you, so I am leaving THIS comment here!)....very helpful and fun choices. If you think of anymore, just post them!

Anonymous said...

these look beautiful! i hear you about the knitting of socks!

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed! Your sock looks fabulous. I'll tell you why I have no sock left on my needles when I see you tomorrow at knitting circle.

It involves Airport security, garbage cans and perserverance (sp!)...