Thursday, April 13, 2006

My Work Hands- Studio Friday

Idle hands are the devil's playthings. Thank heavens we are all so busy!

Today for Studio Friday we are being asked about our work hands. I have always marveled at those women who create art and who craft and still manage to be well manicured. Once I got sucked into the acrylic nail tip craze. They lasted about two weeks. Two weeks that I couldn't hold a sewing needle. Two weeks that my nails poked through my knitting. Bring on the dish of acetone cause those nails have got to go! I have another problem with manicured nails...color. All that color flashing around at the tips of my fingers is sooooo distracting; I am fascinated by it.


I have a lovely scar on the inside of my left-hand ring finger. About six years ago I had a very misguided "I am woman. Hear me roar," moment. I attempted to move a medium sized, but suprisingly heavy, entertainment center from the fourth to third floor. The need to have it done now defeated every bit of patience and knowledge of physics that I possessed. At the bottom of the very steep and narrow staircase I lost control...momentum and gravity had taken over...and pinned my finger to the wall with a corner of the enterainment center. The ER doc said it was just shy of the bone. They could stitch me up, but weren't sure that I would be able to use the finger again and most cetainly would never be able to totally straighten it. Haha, silly doctors, everything works just fine. It just looks icky, bleh.

Now I have "I am woman. Watch me hire a handyman," moments.

12 comments:

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Aren't you lucky!! I once had a similar experience with a tree stump, that I wanted moved..couldn't wait...so stubborn me did it by myself...When It slipped out of myhand it pinned my finger to the stone wall. Broke it good!
I have the same luck as you!
Here's to hired hands!

firstborn studio said...

nice hands..great story....good moral!

Ellen said...

Great story, and one that I can certainly relate to. Heavy dresser, move it now, broken thumb! Need the wood cut now, dull blade, lack of attention, permanent damage to left thumb nailbed. I could go on and on but...

I like to believe those little scars, knobby joints, healed injuries tell stories about us and express our uniqueness.....

Strong Enough said...

Great hands! I went through that nail phase, too! You have a lot of memories with your hands. Happy SF!

Jennifer S. said...

Love that you say you get distracted by the pretty colors :)

Joy Eliz said...

Oh my God!!!!!!
I have an exact same scar - no kidding!!! I am adding to my post so you can see!

carrie s. said...

Perfect! I can relate...

TheyDHD said...

Scars are the physical reminders of the tales that form our lives. Thank you for sharing your story, your spirit, and your beautiful hands.

Lisa Marie said...

LOL I've had those moments, too. Glad it wasn't any worse!

justjohanna said...

I can relate! But I haven't broken any fingers (yet). And I too thought the acrylic nails would be pretty but found that they interfered with nearly everything I tried to do. And that a lot of my painting & cleanup supplies were incompatible with nail polish.

Going For Greatness said...

Within every scar there's a memory, a story and a lesson learned. Our hands have more than their fair share!!!
All too often we forget to appreciate our most precious tools; our hands! We so SO MUCH with them yet give them little or no thought. I think today's entry for Studio Friday is a great tribute to recognise that which enables us to create! Have a great weekend! I look forward to next Friday's journey!!
~ Gabi

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Love your story!